Clean, efficient operation envisioned for Québec’s zero-emission public transit
The landmark order
A historic purchase of up to 1,229 battery-electric buses is on the cards for Québec’s urban centers. This clean and efficient transportation solution will employ BAE Systems’ Gen3 electric drive system, ensuring emission-free operation. Not only is this the largest electric bus order in North America, but it also enhances the province’s existing fleet of 1,800 buses already energized by BAE Systems’ technology.
Progress towards zero-emissions
“We are proud to advance the transition to zero-emission public transportation in Québec,” shared Bob Lamanna, VP and General Manager of Power & Propulsion Solutions at BAE Systems. “This order marks the next step toward full fleet electrification – delivering reliable, high-performance systems to help ATUQ’s members reach their environmental goals.”
Gen3 Drive System: the heart of the electric bus
The innovative Gen3 drive system stands at the heart of these eco-friendly machines. With its electric motor and advanced power electronics, Gen3 ushers in a clean transportation era. Harnessing inventive technology such as silicon carbide for improved heat management and lightweight components, the Gen3 system boosts electrical efficiency and vehicle performance.
Joint commitment to a cleaner future
The ATUQ and BAE Systems’ commitment towards an emission-free future shines through this deal. “This order represents our collective commitment to improving air quality, meeting the provincial government ambitious targets and contributing to Canada’s zero-emission future,” explained Marc-Andre Varin, General Manager of ATUQ.
BAE Systems: 25 years of innovation
With more than 16,000 propulsion systems in service on transit buses worldwide, BAE Systems continues to innovate and shape the future of public transportation. These systems are developed and serviced at BAE’s facilities in Endicott, New York, and Rochester, U.K.
- Drive System: BAE Systems’ Gen3 Electric Drive System, featuring advanced power electronics and an efficient electric motor.
- Heat Management: Innovative use of silicon carbide technology for optimal heat management, contributing to prolonged system lifespan and efficiency.
- Lightweight Design: Integration of lightweight components in the system design for enhanced vehicle performance and power efficiency.
- Efficiency: Increased electrical efficiency enabling buses to travel longer distances on a single charge.
- Bus Fleet: Up to 1,229 battery-electric buses to be added to Québec’s existing fleet of 1,800 buses powered by BAE Systems’ technology.
- Coverage: ATUQ, consisting of ten transit authorities, provides 99 percent of public transportation in Québec, serving major urban centers including Montréal, Laval, Longueuil, Québec City, and more.
Today’s announcement signifies not just a milestone in the evolution of public transportation, but a step towards a more sustainable world. As we navigate the complex issues of climate change and urban congestion, it becomes increasingly clear that solutions like these electric vehicles offer an essential path forward. By prioritizing environmental considerations without sacrificing efficiency, cities like those in Québec model a future where innovation and responsibility coexist for the betterment of all.